Saturday, November 22, 2014

Threads of Time - Block of the Month - Month #1 and the "Wing Clipper"

I posted several months ago about the new BOM called Threads of Time.  It is very beautiful so I had to join this group of piecers/quilters at my local quilt shop, Fabric Garden in Sacramento.  

I went and picked-up my first month yesterday at the store.  I was excited to get started and I finished this morning.  The first month's four blocks were all  the same, the "Devil's Claw," made with four different fabrics.  

I enjoyed sewing the blocks but I did not follow the instructions provided by Julie Hendricksen.  First, I noticed that the Devil's Claw was comprised of 8 flying geese.  I used my "Wing Clipper" ruler by Debbie Tucker of Studio 180 Designs instead.  The Wing Clipper is an ingenious device created by Deb Tucker.  Your four flying geese are perfect after you trim them down to size.



 

The photo on the left shows all eight flying geese before I trimmed them.  The photo on the right shows the "Wing Clipper" ruler and the small pile of fabric that I trimmed off the blocks with hardly any waste.


 The photograph to the right shows how I 
dealt with the seams.  I basically opened 
the seams especially in the middle area.  
That area had the most bulk especially 
where the two points of the flying geese meet.









I love making flying geese now because of the "Wing Clipper."  I've had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to Deb at PIQF this past month and last year.  She is passionate about her rulers and happily demonstrates every one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment